The Pavilion was demolished in the early
months of 1936 as shown below. The wall around its garden was removed and the
site was cleared. In June of the same year, work started on the new Church of
Saint Peter in Chains. The building contractors were Findlay and McGeechan of
Glasgow who employed local labour.
The foreman bricklayer, Alexander 'Sanny' Archibald of Saltcoats, was personally
responsible for the decorative brickwork around the main door and side door under
the tower. The joiners were Thomas Stewart Limited. The Stations of the Cross
were carved by Archibald Dawson. The Main Altar was built and installed by James
Youden and Son Limited.
The facing brick was Accrington Nori. Roof tiles were Walley's Supero red rustic
sanded variety. Seats are made from American white oak. The interior was finished
in plaster with cream pigment added. The Main Altar, Our Lady Altar, the Sacred
Heart Altar and the altar rails were built from Raw Sienna, Pavonazzo, Travertine,
Arno Alti and Swedish Green marble. The baptismal font in the porch was made of
Construction of the external
building, shown below shortly after completion, was finished in September 1937.
The total building costs were about £10000.