Kirking of the Council
25 May 1958

It was traditional in the 1950s, for a new Provost and his Council to attend church on the Sunday after the election for what was known in the Church of Scotland as the 'Kirkin' o' the Cooncil'. Provost Jimmy Dorrian (1897-1977), a parishioner, accompanied by Council members and Burgh officials was 'kirked' in of the Church of Saint Peter in Chains.

From left to right, the people are Mary O'Hare neé Donnelly later McLaughlan (1909-1976), Jimmy Dorrian (1897-1977) and Sheila Kennedy neé Tonner (1921-1996)