Robert left Ardrossan in his early years for Folkstone, Kent where his father was a marine engineer with the South Eastern and Chatham Railway Company. He was educated at Saint Edmund's College, Ware, Hertfordshire.
Robert was ordained a priest on 15 August 1913 by Cardinal Bourne at Saint Edmund's College, Ware, Hertfordshire, England. He continued his studies at Trinity College, Cambridge where he resided at Saint Edmund's House. He graduated as a Bachelor of Arts and later as a Master of Arts. Robert was as a Chaplain to the Forces in the 1914-1918 war and was awarded the Order of the British Empire. He was a teacher at Saint Edmund's College, Ware from 1919 to 1922 and at the Cardinal Vaughan School, Holland Park from 1922 to 1935.
In 1926, Robert was the
first priest to say Mass in Ardrossan since the Reformation. This Mass was said
in the Assembly Hall in Bute Place.
Robert was appointed headmaster to Gunnersbury Catholic Grammar School in London in 1935 and became parish priest of Gunnersbury in 1939. He held both offices until 1957.
Robert was a participant at the opening High Mass on 2 October 1938 in the Church of Saint Peter in Chains, Ardrossan. The Church was one hundred and fifty yards from his birthplace.
He was made a member of the Westminster Chapter of Canons in 1953. Robert retired from teaching in 1957 and became chaplain to Saint Anthony's Home, Hatton, a children's home near Feltham in Middlesex. When the home was closed in 1962, he transferred with the Daughters of Charity and the boys to new premises in Enfield, Middelesex. He retired to live in New Barnet in 1964.
Canon Robert McCliment
died in London on 12 February 1967.
The left photograph above was taken in the mid 1910s and the right one in the mid 1920s.